Sunday, August 17, 2008

Olympic Confusion

I'm more of a fan of the Olympics than I thought I would be. I honestly did not think I would get so into it. Of course, athletes like Michael Phelps has tremendously increased my interests, and the interests of millions of Americans. Enough so, that NBC is concerned their ratings will drop now that the swimming events are over.

Now, there are a lot of Olympic events in which I feel are merited as events: Track and Field (especially the marathon), all the racing events, the wrestling and gymnastics (even with the corrupt point systems they use). I'm amazed at the Diving, and the distance events like the 5000 meter events.

But there is one event, no matter how I look at it, that I can't understand it being an Olympic event, better yet, a sport at all. Now understandably, I'm not a horse lover. I'm not a horse hater either. I'm all for Horse Racing and the jumping events, but please some explain "Dressage" to me, and why its an Olympic event? Turn your volume down (annoying music) and watch the video below, and then weigh in.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I think the music actually makes the video watchable! I laughed out loud during some parts; the movements of the horse and the music are so syncopated! If you ever wondered what a discotheque for horses would look like, this video is for you.

Anonymous said...

NBC's ratings will definitely drop post-Phelps and post-gymnastics.