Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Conversation with an Indian

I despise calling for technical support, customer service, or any other calls like that, especially since none of them speak English.

Today, I called a Linksys support line for troubleshooting with my router. They asked for my telephone number, so they could open up a case number. Here is the conversation with lady technician:

Linksys: Hello. With whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with today?

Me: Yes, my name is Lane.

L: Can you give me your home telephone number so we can open a case for you?

Me: Okay, my number is (changed so I won't get junk calls) 256-682-5710.

L: I'm sorry, can you kindly give me that number again?

Me: Sure, its 256-682-5710

L: I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding your English. Can you please speak clearly and slower so I can understand?

Me: Okay. its 2....5....6....6....8....2....5....7....1....0

L: Hold one moment please

I wait for a while, wondering what is taking so long, and also wondering how she's going to help me if she can't even understand my phone number. About 3 more minutes go by, and then I hear a different voice, this time male.

Linksys: Hello Mr. Lane, I understand that you are not giving your phone number to our technician, we can not help you until you do that.

Me: I gave the lady my number 3 times. She said she couldn't understand me, and then she put me on hold.

Linksys: All right, please hold for moment again (not a mistype, that's how he said it).

I wait for a few more moments. About 5 minutes later:

Linksys: Sir, we will not be able to help you at this time, please call back when you can give us your telephone number. Is there anything else we can help you with today?

Me: (Wanting to throw my phone at the guy, but remembering who I am, and that this isn't that big of a deal...) No thank you, I'll call back later.

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Oooh, so frustrating!!!

Anonymous said...

This is only funny because it happened to you, not me. I think we've all experienced that, though.

Anonymous said...

Tank you ... come ageen!

Apologies to Apu....

Anonymous said...

Lane,

Linksys is a division of Cisco and here is their corporate headquaters info. Try giving them a call and explain to them your problem. I think there are still a few people in CA that speak english.



Cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Dr.
San Jose, CA 95134
USA

(408)526-4000
(800)553-NETS or
(800)553-6387