Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Aftermath of a Day Without Caffeine

I decided to kick it in to high gear yesterday by simply just quitting on caffeine. With recent reports that Diet Sodas actually don't do what they're supposed to do, I decided it was only hurting me in my effort to lose weight, which if you haven't figured out by now, is a huge issue for me.

So yesterday, I consumed no caffeine (to my knowledge). I usually start the day out by drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper (DDP) first thing when I get to the office. Then I'll drink another one mid morning. Then I'll usually have at least one with lunch. Around 1:30 or so, the mid afternoon slumps start to kick in, and I consume another. Then, depending on the rest of the day, I may have one with dinner (especially if we eat out). Over the course of any given day, I may consume 6 to 8 cans of DDP, or more diet soft drinks if I eat out (I love refills, especially when I pay $3.00 for a soft drink).

Yesterday, I had no caffeine. Yesterday went well, no real effects, just a little fatigue, and nothing more. I thought to myself this would be easier than the last time I kicked this little habit. I went to bed last night earlier than usual (go figure) and rested well. I woke up this morning, and ....

BAM!

It was literally like my head had been beaten with a blunt metal object. It had been at least 30 hours since my last known caffeine consumption, and I was feeling it in a major way, and I still am. It is now 10:38 a.m., and I am moving slow and starting to feel sick. I've read about how different people respond in different ways to caffeine withdrawal, most experiencing headache and fatigue, but others have physical symptoms like runny nose, neck pain, and the jitters. Check, check, and check, yup, I'm experiencing them all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ladybug" and I are so proud of you for trying to be healthier! We know you can stick with it!

Jason said...

Hang in there, dude. Fight through it. I haven't quit cold turkey...I've gone from drinking 3-4 Mt. Dews in a day to just having one with my dinner. The rest of the time, I'm just drinking water. But at least my head isn't totally killing me during the day anymore.

Look at it this way: Today's probably the hardest day you'll have. Tomorrow will feel better. Endure, brotha.

Anonymous said...

Just let me know if you need me to fill in for you on Sunday mornings so you can go to the 12 Step class Craig is teaching.

I'm proud of you, keep it up!!!

-Lane said...

Jason, today is much better. I still don't have the energy yet, but I'm getting there. I tried the cutback method several times, but 1 turned into 2 which turned into 3...

Greg, thanks. We'll see how the first few weeks go. I may need to take you up on the offer.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca and I are behind you. She gave up caffeine because of things that she read about how it can be bad during pregnancy. Luckily for her, she hasn't really experienced any of the side effects.

If you still want your caffeine fix, I read somewhere about a soap that has caffeine that is being tested. Supposedly you absorb the caffeine into your skin...but no calories!

-Lane said...

Fortunately, Kristen wasn't a big caffeine junkie, so it wasn't that hard for her. Today has actually been quite nice though. I really do feel better. Still a bit groggy, but I do feel better.

Besides, you know I have to use Arbonne, right?!! Now if Arbonne came out with caffeinated soap, that would be something.

Anonymous said...

Had a headache for nine days, 24 hrs. per day, when I quit.

chesley said...

I feel your pain. It's one of the hardest things to give up, and you still crave it even when the withdrawal is over. I've given it up a few times and always wean myself with half regular and half caffeine free at first. I drink Caffeine Free Diet Coke now, and it makes me think I'm getting the real deal, but there really is NOTHING like a regular Diet Coke. Good Luck!

Adrian said...

Hello nice bblog