Thursday, August 03, 2006

Top 10 Television Comedies

Hey everyone. Spurred on by recent posts by Jason, and MSN's top Television shows of the 80's, I thought I would do my own. I'm starting with my Top 10 TV Comedies, followed by Top 10 Drama Series, Top 10 Action Shows, and Top 10 Misc. Shows.

Let me know what you think, if you agree or disagree.

Here they are, starting with Number 10, finishing with what I believe to be one of the greatest.

Number 10: Perfect Strangers: I remember watching this show, laughing at Balki Bartokomous and Larry Appleton, two cousins who end up living together who couldn't be more different. This show was tremendous.

Number 9: Newheart: My favorite episode was when the whole hotel staff were having nightmares. Julia Duffy, who played the maid, was like 45 years old in that show, but she really only looked about 25.

Number 8: Family Ties: Michael J. Fox at his finest. He was the political mastermind of the 80s, and I didn't understand any of it until I got older. Going back and watching old episodes makes me appreciate it even more.

Number 7: The Cosby Show: Say what you will, but this could easily be one of the most influencial television shows of all times. It was one of the few television shows we watched as a family. All the characters were lovable, except Vanessa. My favorite episode was when Theo wanted to be treated like an adult, and so everyone in the house pretended not to know him and turned the house into a real life situation for him.

Number 6: Night Court: One of the catchiest theme songs ever, I'll never forget that this was the last show my sister and I could watch before our 9:00 bedtime. I loved Bull and his crazy shenanigans, but Dan was a tremendous character as well. Most overlooked character was Mac, the black guy who was basically the clerk of the courtroom.

Number 5: Seinfeld: Probably one of the more quoted sitcoms ever, and probably shown in syndication more than any other show, this is a classic. A show about nothing, and it worked. Kramer, George, Elaine and Jerry made this show a pop culture phenom. Yadda, yadda, yadda is a phrase I still say, not that there's anything wrong with that. Favorite episode might be the one with Keith Hernandez..."Go ahead, Kiss her...you're Keith Hernandez...".

Number 4: The Simpsons: People argue with me all the time about this show. I say this show might be the most realistic and family valued show of all time. Everyone in town goes to church, the father is more real to life than Bill Cosby ever was, and the siblings fight like...well...siblings. My favorite episode of all time is when The Simpsons have to go into the Witness Protection Program, and are renamed the Thompsons.

Number 3: Everybody Loves Raymond: This has recently cracked into my all time favorites list. It is hilarious, and I owe that to Jason. He always talks about how good it is, and truly is a great show. You can catch a lot of their shows on TBS. My favorite episode is entitled "Tissues" and is when Ray is given freedom to pick out things around the house.

Number 2: The Office: This is a love it or hate it show. The first episode I ever watched was about the dumbest thing ever. However it won so many awards for its first season, and there were only 6 episodes. I figured I'd give it another shot, and watched a few more episodes. Once you understand the concept of the show, you realize how masterful it really is. My favorite character is Toby, the HR guy. His one liners are hilarious. Dwight is possibly one of the best characters in TV history. That's what she said!

Number 1: Friends: I know many people who frequent this blog who are probably throwing things around, thinking how on earth could Friends be number 1? Well, it just appeals to me in a way no other show does. Like Jason Bybee, who watches Everybody Loves Raymond on DVD all the time, my wife and I watch this in our bedroom at night while going to sleep, or if there's nothing else on TV. My favorite character is Chandler, who is the most sarcastic character in tv history. Its a show I never get tired of, and still laugh at no matter how many times I've seen it.

Honorable Mentions:
Taxi: Great show with one of the greatest ensemble casts ever assembled. Favorite Episode was when Jim tried to get his Driver's License "What does a yellow light mean? Slow Down"

Frasier: I didn't care for Cheers, but I loved Frasier. I always thought it was a unique and funny show.

Dishonarable Mentions:
Will and Grace: I just really hate this show.

Golden Girls: Nothing like listening to four crabby old women for 30 minutes.

There you go, my top 10 favorite comedies. Let the debating begin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of your choices, but "The Simpsons" would have to be at the top of my list. You are right -- it is more real than any other sitcom about married life with kids in America. When did the Huxtables ever have problems with their marriage -- I don't remember either one of them ever being tempted to cheat on their spouse. Yet both Homer and Marge have suffered that temptation -- and both overcame it without giving in to it, yet they struggled with it deeply. Homer tries his best in his own way, and Marge is very long-suffering of all his shortcomings and extremely patient with him (but only to a point). Forgiveness comes, but not easily all the time (Homer has been kicked out of the house, and Marge has gone to stay with the "gruesome twosome" -- I mean her sisters -- when problems have arisen) -- just like it comes from us. Many people talk about how evil and corrupt the show is, but I feel that it is one of the best representations of real life out of any sitcom. Also, the different elements of pop culture that are imbedded in the show and the guest voice cameos are beyond compare (one of my favorites, from "Homerpalooza" -- "I'm Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins.", "Homer Simpson, smiling politely." CLASSIC!)

-Lane said...

The Simpsons is a great show, just had a hard time rating a cartoon as my favorite comedy. There are so many episodes that hit home with me however.

Seinfeld, well, you don't have to be in any sort of mood to watch it...it always fits.

Jason said...

The Honeymooners is a great show. Not many people today have seen it, but it's a classic.

No Andy Griffith? It's another classic.

Can't argue with most of these. I've never really cared for Friends, but I understand that it's the show you and Kristen enjoy watching together. That's half the fun of Raymond for me & Sunny.