Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Our New Lives Have Officially Begun

Hey everyone. Today, August 1, 2006 marks a new day in history for us in the Widick household. You see, today, I am officially the new youth minister at Guntersville Church of Christ in Guntersville, AL. There are so many things that I am excited about, too many to list today on this simple blog, but I'm going to sum up a few of the most exciting things:

1. The People in this Church: I have already been overwhelmed with support and encouragement. When we moved on Saturday, there were over 30 people at the house to help us unload the truck. To all of them I say thanks. Then, they fed us pizza and had time to fellowship. On Sunday, we were taken out to lunch. Every place we have been to since we have been here we see someone from church, and they always come to us and introduce themselves and give us words of encouragement.

2. Living in Guntersville: This place is a small little piece of paradise, nestled in a valley, surrounded by small little mountains and Lake Guntersville, right next to the Tennessee River.

3. Living in Alabama: Now I can finally be a Crimson Tide Fan and not have to make excuses (except to those crazy Auburn fans).

4. I can walk to my office: With gas at $12 a gallon, plus a deposit of your firstborn child, its nice to know that when my tank is running low, I can go out the back door, walk 100 yards, and be at my office.

Now that I'm at a new church, I have some new things that I want to start doing with my life as well:

1. Exercise on a regular basis: We now have our Bowflex and our treadmill in an area where we can exercise in the house, and not have to rearrange everything to do so. 180 pounds, here I come!

2. Starting fresh: All the problems, issues, or anything else I had in past experiences, I can let them go, and start fresh here.

3. Rededicating my own Spiritual life: Now that I'm in a smaller town with less distractions, I plan on revamping my spiritual walk with God. The hardest part about being a minister, in my opinion, is taking care of your own spiritual life. We spend a lot of time dealing with spiritual issues of others, but less time for ourselves.

4. Being more selfish: I also plan on making sure I take time out for me, and for my family. I could easily spend all day planning activities and hanging out with the teens, but I also need to make sure I get into the habit of spending time with myself and Kristen.

Thanks for everyone's prayers as we have made the move. Be patient with me as we start here, and I hope all works well here in Guntersville, Alabama.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to have you here in Alabama. We drove through your town on Saturday, and we thought about you. I hope your job gets off to a great start. I am glad that you are excited, and I know you will do good things for the church there in Guntersville.

Anonymous said...

hey i found my picture CD from honduras!! just lettin you know so that you dont think that ya'll lost them!!!! they were on top of a monitor in the sound booth!!


im glad that you're happy in Guntersville!! i really miss you guys!!!! i'll probably be comin to visit when i go visit tia and to see megan play volleyball!!!!


ok well i'll talk to ya later!!! love yah!!!!

-Lane said...

Jonathan,
Great to be near you guys, too! We'll have to get together soon.

Tara,
Well, since I walk to the church building, gas isn't all that important, however, when i need groceries...

Emily,
Come and see us anytime! You're always welcome.

Mike J. said...

Hey there Lane. I am excited that you are enjoying your new ministry. I pray that God will bless you in your new position there. I am also leaving Memphis in two weeks for a pulpit job in Pennsylvania. So maybe we can share some transition stories with each other. Take care of yourself and your family