Friday, September 08, 2006

Watch Out for Aliens



Ever since I was a little boy, I haven't really been scared of much. I never really was all that scared of the dark. I wasn't afraid of clowns or spiders. The only thing I was ever scared of was aliens. Yup, that's right, aliens. I attribute that to a lot of episodes of Unsolved Mysteries on Wednesday nights after church, the show Amazing Stories which used to come on Sunday nights, and the fact that I swear there were aliens in our backyard.

I've always been scared of them as long as I can remember. Now of course, why aliens would come all this way to earth just to freak us out is beyond me. It just creeps me out. So on Wednesday night of this week, I did a class based upon my fear of Aliens.

You remember that movie Signs? I loved it, and hated it all at the same time. There were plenty of great spiritual applications though in that movie. Let me share my favorite.

Do you remember in that movie when they had boarded up their home, and headed down to the basement to tough it out? They placed a pick axe in front of the door, and hoped that would keep out the aliens (they can travel light years to earth but can't open a door?). The little boy, Morgan, said that the aliens would be good problem solvers, and would find a way in. Sure enough, the basement used to have a coal shaft in it. As Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix looked around for it, Morgan was standing in front of the shaft, and an alien grabbed him from behind. Just as Morgan said, they found a way in.

You know, Satan does the same thing. He's a great problem solver. Just when we think we're safe, in the privacy of our own home, protected by locked doors, alarms, and whatever else we may have, Satan finds a way in. We protect our hearts by going to church, participating in small groups, reading our Bibles and praying, but Satan still finds a way in.

And you know what the sad thing is? We aren't easily scared of the power that Satan has. We jump and scream at scary movies, but we don't flinch at all when we read of the fact that Satan is alive and well in the world.

Remember what kills the aliens in the movie Signs? Yeah, Water. I though it was cheesy as well. These terrible aliens are hurt by water. They have poison gas flowing through their bodies, but water will destroy them.


About the only thing, however, that will destroy the presence of Satan in our lives is...well, water. Being buried in Christ in the waters of Baptism cleanses our souls, our bodies, our lives. That water, which symbolizes the blood of Christ, is the one thing Satan can't deal with. It drives him away.

At least for a while. Remember, we said Satan was a good problem solver. Becoming a Christian doesn't make you exempt from Satan. Satan can, and will find a way back into your lives. Be watchful, Satan goes around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Satan is real, but my Jesus beats him every time.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

I was so scared of Aliens growing up too. One night, my family got in late from a vacation and we found the movie "Aliens" to be on. I saw one part (before my parents told me to go to bed) that I still visualize. Aliens are very scary.
Good thoughts about Satan. We constantly have to be on guard.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post -- very profound, yet very true. It's a great way to present the idea of our lack of fear about Satan. We are terrified of things that we do not know if they exist or not, yet something that we all know exists and is very dangerous, we treat with such a flippant attitude. Our eyes must be opened before it is too late, and I think you are doing that here. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Man...I never would have thought to find that sort of spiritual application in Signs. Excellent stuff. Maybe some day I'll find a great application in a movie such as that.