Wednesday, September 13, 2006

1095 Days/ 26280 Hours/ 1576800 Minutes


3 years ago today. 3 years ago today I stood on a church stage in front of many witnesses, and confessed my love and devotion to Kristen Joy Sims. It was one of the most emotional days of my life.

That day was a whirlwind. I woke up, in house that all the groomsmen were staying in, and we went to Cracker Barrell for breakfast. I had Steak and Biscuits. We sat there for about 2 hours, talking, laughing, chatting, and stuffing our faces. Then, we went home, and began to get dressed.

The day continued as we went for the dreaded pictures. I'll never understand why you have to get ready so early for pictures, but we did anyway.

Kristen and I did not want to see each other before the ceremony. We wanted to pictures after, but we realized that puts everyone at such an inconvenience, making them wait for food and wait to greet us. So what we did was we had a rehearsal run before hand. We got only the family and the bridesmaids and the groomsmen, and kicked everyone else (like the decorator, etc) out. We then had what I considered to be the best moment of my life.

The groomsmen and I marched down the aisle as well as the bridesmaids. The groomsmen walked down to bagpipe music. It was a reference to our many trips to Scotland together. The bridesmaids walked down to When You Say Nothing at All by Allison Krauss. Then, to a song called Only Hope, the love of my life appeared in the doorway, and walked down the aisle with her father.

I'm not usually all that emotional, but I had a pipe burst or something, because I could not stop the tears from flowing. I realized how lucky I was, and how God works in our lives to put the absolute perfect person in our lives. There is no one else I could ever imagine spending my life with.

We've lived in 5 different houses, 4 different cities, worked with 3 different churches, and I believe now we have finally found a place to settle down, start a family, and place some roots. Our first home was a trailer by the Cumberland River in Ashland City, TN. We then moved in Ashland City to a different house that was literally in the middle of nowhere. It was 1/2 mile off the road. Kristen hated that house, but I loved it. From there we moved to an apartment in Memphis, and then to our first home (which we still haven't sold...sigh) in Olive Branch, MS.

Now we begin our third year of marriage in Guntersville, AL and hope to spend many more here. In fact, at this point, I'd be happy if we spent every anniversary here together. There's not a prettier place around.

I love my wife with all my heart. Happy 3 years. Here's to 300 more!

(By the way, the picture with the snowman was the first day that Kristen and I spent any real time together. It was a snowy day at Freed Hardeman, when everyone skipped class and went to play in the snow. The others in the picture are my old roommate Kevin Westmoreland and Kristen's old roommate Amy Champion. I'm the one in the ski mask.)

4 comments:

Jason said...

Happy anniversary, guys. Kristen, I've known Lane for a long time and you are his perfect match. Lane, you did good, boy. It's a joy to see how the two of you are devoted to each other. I hope that you have many, many years together.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from Catherine and myself -- we were glad that you came into our lives, and you had a huge impact on us. We are glad to be able to consider both of you our friends.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Lane. I remember your wedding well. Ahh...the fond memories.

Sunny said...

Happy 3rd Anniversary you two!