Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Top 50 Most Influencial People in my life, #10-4

Like any good season finale, I'm going to make you wait till tomorrow to read the top 3 most influencial people in my life. But here are numbers 10 through 4 of those people. This one might be a bit more lengthy.

10. Richard Willis: Funny how sometimes you can say that people you hardly ever see anymore are still influencial in your life. Richard is a few years younger than me, but was a great friend in college. He was a co-worker at Mid South Youth Camp, Scotland campaign buddy, groomsman in my wedding, and a genius. He is at Auburn finishing up some sort of doctorate degree in engineering, but also up until just recently served as a part time youth minister for a church. ( I don't think he's doing that anymore ). Richard always made time for God, and more importantly, always found time to be a Christian. Richard never spoke ill of someone behind their back, never skipped class, never did anything that would be taken as a non-christian act. His Christianity is very important to him. His head was screwed on straight, and was always there to listen to you. He could give a devotional on just about any topic you gave him. LAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

9. Jonathan McKnight: It might sound like you're reading the above description for Jonathan as well. He is a few years younger than me, a great friend in college, co worker at Mid South Youth Camp, Scotland Campaign Buddy, and groomsman in my wedding. He is also a genius, but in a different way. He knows everything there is to know about computers. He and his wife Rebecca live in Trinity, AL. Jonathan always taught me persistance, and going for the gold. He doesn't settle for less than the best when it comes to anything. He is a great athlete, great person, great friend.

8. Mike Fox: Mike was my high school Bible teacher at Friendship Christian School. He left to move to Metarie, Louisiana to be a minister. He came back and spoke at our high school graduation. We stayed in touch all that time, and even afterwards when I went on to college. After I finished my stay in Houston as a teacher, I moved to Ashland City, TN, to work with a church that Mike Fox was preaching at. He and I worked together there for about 2 years. Mike was a mentor to me, and was always willing to sit down with me and talk. We ate lunch together often, and was a very encouraging man. Mike left to go back to Metarie, and is still preaching there. I hear from him from time to time, and he always gives me a big hug when we see each other. I have so much respect for him and what he does and who he is.

7. Gary McKnight: Gary McKnight was my father away from home while I was in college. He was the director of the Sonshine Singers. He took me into his group and continued to train my voice. Most importantly he was a man of God. He got me interested in the Scotland campaigns, and trusted me with a lot of things while I was in his group. He had me over to his home often to talk, eat, and visit. To show how much he means to me, my wife and asked him to perform our wedding ceremony. He graciously accepted. Gary, to this day, still talks with me on a pretty regular basis. He is now in charge of the choral music department at FHU. He is an elder in the church at Henderson. I wouldn't be here today without his guidance in my life.

6. Kyle Hooper: Kyle Hooper and I first met at Mid South Youth Camp. He was my Junior Counselor one week. He came into the cabin wearing his Oakleys, driving his dad's big truck, and acting all cocky and arrogant. We both hated each other. Now, we're best friends. Kyle was a co-worker at Mid South, Scotland Campaign Buddy, Honduras campaign buddy, great friend in college, and continues to be a great friend, and was a groomsman in my wedding. Kyle is now in China till the first of the summer, where is doing some good work. Kyle and I are very similar in our personalities, and always fed off each other in a social situation. Kyle, I love you man. Hope to see you soon.

5. Kevin Westmoreland: Kevin was my roommate in college my last two years there, but we knew each other for longer than that. We lived on the same floor, he was in the same club I was in, and eventually joined the Sonshine Singers. Kevin was in my wedding, and was a Scotland Campaign Buddy, Honduras campaign buddy, and is one my best friends now. Kevin always made me laugh, shared a lot of the same interests I did and do, and is a inspiration to me as far as his faith in God is concerned. Kevin was mainly responsible for introducing Kristen to me, and is still a good friend to us both. He makes everyone laugh, and is growing in his faith daily. Kevin, you are a great friend, and I know you'll always be one.

4. Jason Bybee: Jason is one of the best friends anyone could ever have. You know those friends you have that you can say a word that makes you think of countless jokes and occurances that you've had together? Well, that's Jason. Jason moved into my neighborhood when I was like in 7th grade or so. We played ball a lot, also a whole lot of Sega and Nintendo and Playstation. He got me going to youth group activities with him at College Street (See Johnny Markham earlier). He is one of those people responsible for me becoming a Christian and giving my life to God. His mother and father had both passed away by the time I was a Sophomore in high school. He continued to give his life to God instead of straying away, and to this day that is an encouragement to me. Jason has been a youth minister, a campus minister, and a youth minister again. He now works as a youth minister at Mayfair church of Christ in Huntsville, AL. He and his wife Sunny have twins, Joshua and Abbey Kate. From A.M. 1000 to Nashville Sounds games, to Minnesota and down to White Water in Atlanta, we've had great times, and I know they will continue to get better. He is a guy I can go to when I'm stressed and need someone to listen to me, and he is the kinda guy you want on your side in any situation. Jason, you've always been there for me, and I thank you for that. I love you brother.

10 comments:

Jason said...

Lane,
It's quite an honor to be a part of this list. I've always treasured our friendship. One of the defining moments for me, as far as our friendship goes, was the day we buried my mother. Your presence was special to me that day, but I'll never forget that you rode with me to the graveyard. The fact that you were present in my pain is something I'll always cherish. You're a brother to me, a best friend and I'm thankful we'll spend eternity together.
I love you, man.

Anonymous said...

As I have read this over the past few days, I have been intrigued to see who is on the list. I am thankful that so many people have come into your life to touch you in some very positive ways. I am thankful that "that girl" also came into your life.
As I read these names, I think about how many similar list you would be a part of. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Dad

Jason said...

By the way....

Get a rag.

Jason said...

That's not a good idea, boys.

Jason said...

"Yeah, there's this guy named Lane. He and I go camping a lot." -- Ben Cripps

Jason said...

You don't like DIP!?!?

Jason said...

Is that JoBox?

No, it's not mine. Is it JoBox?

Jason said...

Fuh-fuh-fuh-fuh....


I could go on and on....

-Lane said...

WHAP!!! PBBTH!!! HUUHHHUHH!!!!

BEVERAGE!!

CHICANO!!!

Anonymous said...

I made your list! I'm honored and humbled. Thanks for thinking so highly of me. Also, I think it's great that my dad made the list. I realize he didn't make it because he is my dad, but it's still cool. They are actually leaving for Scotland again this week. Keep them and the campaign in your prayers!