Monday, February 27, 2006

Go to God for comfort

This morning has not been a good morning. Our little pug, Chloe, ate something outside that made her rather sick. She was coming out both ends, and she just looked pathetic. I called the vet, and he assured us it had nothing to do with the surgery last week, but that she got hold of something outside that was not too good for her. He gave us some medicine to give her, and we're crossing our fingers that she's okay.

The thing about it is this: She was so confused. She didn't feel well, and didn't know what to do. She just stood there. She wouldn't come, sit, lay down, drink any water, go outside...she was just confused. She's never been sick before, and didn't really know how to cope with it.

As I helped her through the morning, I wonder sometimes why we do the same thing. We become confused with our sickness of sin. It finally gets to us, and we don't know what to do. And just as I beckoned for Chloe to lay down and rest, God beckons for us to stop and come to Him. Chloe didn't know she needed to rest, and was therefore confused.

We don't know that we need to go to God when sin overtakes us, and we become confused. We look for help in every area, except God. Maybe we don't want to burden Him, or bother Him. Maybe we think we're not imortant enough, or that He won't care.

Matthew 11:28 says it best: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." These words, read so often, yet very rarely used, are just what we need everyday in our life.

After a while, I sat down with Chloe on the floor. She came to me and sat on my lap and let me rub her back to feel better. She laid there, still, knowing that I was going to take care of her. I need to realize that there are times when I just need to crawl into my Father's lap, and let him take care of me as well.

**This blog is dedicated to the memory of Gary Bess. Gary was a father of one of my youth group members at Ashland City church of Christ. He passed away this morning after a routine check up at the hospital. Several years ago Gary had a tumor removed from his brain. This morning they said he had a heart attack, slipped into a coma, and slowly passed from this life to be with our Father. He had two daughters, Emily and Halie. God bless their family.

No comments: