Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Getting fit is a God thing for me now

I joined the gym on May 4th. Since then I have been consistently, doing weight/resistance training 3 times a week, doing cardio on those days for 20 minutes, and then doing cardio two other days a week for 40-60 minutes.

I never realized how spiritual working out could be. I get the best thoughts and ideas while working out. Most of them are centered on God, and what I can do in my life to honor him. I have been to the gym now a total of 12 times since I joined, and there have been days when I didn't want to go at all, but I powered through and made it.

Everyday, as I pull into the gym parking lot, I'm amused by people who are waiting on a car to pull out of a spot that is closer to the door. That just cracks me up. I also have a pre-gym ritual I do each time I pull into the parking lot:

1. Pray
2. Listen to the song "He's A Pirate" on the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack

I go into the gym, get changed, put my ipod shuffle on, and head upstairs to do my 20 minute cardio warm up. Then, on the weight days, I move on to my area to do my resistance training. On days when I'm just doing cardio, I will either stay on the same machine for another 20 minutes, or move to another one.

I've realized that there are some songs that really get me going while I'm working out or running. Here are a few, and if you have any other suggestions, let me know:

1. Baba O'Reily by The Who
2. The Distance by Cake
3. Here Is Our King by David Crowder Band
4. Stronger by Kanye West
5. Vertigo by U2
6. Nuisance by John Reuben
7. Separate Ways by Journey
8. Pierced by Audio Adrenaline

Anything I'm missing?

By the way, please remember to pray for my sister, Mary Anne Walton, who is having surgery on May 28. Lord willing, Kristen, Josie and I will be making the trip to be up there with her.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Anything by Jack Johnson will get your blood pumping.

Just kidding!

Song 2 by Blur
The Rocky theme
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
Someday by The Strokes
E-Pro by Beck
What's the Frequency, Kenneth? by R.E.M.

I could go on and on...