Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Titans, Yankees, and The Crimson Tide

Well, every year all great Sports Fans hope that all of their teams will win the big games. I always love this time of year -- when NFL is starting up, the college season is starting up, and the heat of the baseball season is rising.

So let's take a look at my teams:

The New York Yankees:
After Carl Pavano withheld that he was in a car wreck and broke several of his ribs, I'm beginning to have doubts that the Yankees are going to make it. They do awesome by destroying the Red Sox 5 games, and then start losing to Seattle. This morning they said on ESPN that they possibly could clinch home field advantage on Tuesday, but I doubt it.

The Alabama Crimson Tide:
Well, without Brodie Croyle, and the fact that they are picked to be 38th this year, it looks on the surface like a bad season. I just can't help but think that Mike Shula will have some good plays drawn up, and we'll surprise a few. I don't think we'll be great, but I don't think we'll be last in the SEC.

The Tennessee Titans:
Its not looking good. Last night, they signed Kerry Collins, an old washed up quarterback from the Raiders. Billy Volek is good, but not good enough to be a leader. Vince Young is 2 or 3 years away from being decent in my opinion. We have thugs on defense that can't stay out of jail (Pacman Jones has visited 2 times in 2 years). We cut Steve McNair, and about the only decent players left are defensive linemen Haynesworth and Bullock. Is it time that we maybe think about a new coach? I love Jeff Fisher, but he hasn't done much in the past few years. Or is it Bud Adams fault, for wanting to micromanage the team?

SIDE NOTE:
My boy Ndudi Ebi, one of my students from Westbury Christian School in Houston, is back in the NBA. He was signed by the Dallas Mavericks a few weeks ago. He was drafted first round right out of high school by the Timberwolves, but didn't fare so well, and was cut a two years later (even though he had had guaranteed contract money of about 3 million...sigh...i'm in the wrong field..)

6 comments:

Jason said...

The Yankees will cruise to the AL East title. It's amazing how their 5 game series in Boston effectively demolished the Red Sox. That's gotta make a Yankee fan feel good.

I actually like the Yankees now more than I ever have. Maybe it's just a Boston backlash or something. Seems like since they won the Series, everybody's a BoSox fan now. The Yankees lineup reads like a fantasy team or something. I wouldn't sweat Pavano's injury too much. You guys haven't really counted on him for much the past two years and you're still sitting in first place. I don't know how far this Yankee club will make it in October, but it'll sure be interesting to watch, man.

As for the Titans, we stink. I don't know if Fisher will make it through another season. At least we'll get another high draft pick next season.

-Lane said...

I just think its pretty immature to break a few ribs, and not tell your team about it. Just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I know you're not a Yankees fan, per say, but thanks for not liking Boston. That's good enough for me.

Kenny Simpson said...

Did you know Jordan Collier at Westbury? Or Jusef Larry? I went to school with both.

BTW: The Yanks will win the east and be playing for the title vs....THE MARLINS

-Lane said...

Kenny,

I know those names sound familiar. I taught/coached there from the fall of 2001 to summer 2003.

Jason said...

Yanks / Marlins? Wow. Rematch of '03.

Kenny Simpson said...

After the Marlins dispatch the Cards tonight they'll be only 2 back and should be able to sneak in the wild card (like the 2 last world series they had)

BTW: Who won the Marlins/Yanks series?