Thursday, February 26, 2009

Time for a change

No, I'm not quoting Barack Obama. This is not a political post, but very much so a personal post.

I'm getting out of youth ministry.

Let me say that again: I'm getting out of youth ministry. I know some of you are in complete shock. Others of you are shaking your head in agreement. Those of you who know me understand this is the best thing for me.

Kristen and I have been very prayerful over this. Since I left a complicated situation in Memphis, TN, I have been working in a career that I was not fully comfortable doing. Youth Ministry is a wonderful calling, and it takes a very special person to do it. I, however, have been feeling a pull to go towards a different area of ministry for a while now.

We had talked to a few different churches, looking at a few different roles, when one jumped to the head of the pack. It was an Associate Minister position, in a little town called Houston, TX.

We went to visit, and fell in love with the church family, but most importantly, it seemed like the position was the perfect fit for us. We got back on a Monday, and by the time I had woken up on Tuesday, they had offered us a job. We prayed over it for a week or so, and saw other doors closing, and this one opening wider.

I will be serving as their full time Associate Minister, working with pulpit minister to fill in for him when he is gone. I will also be working with Evangelism, helping do Bible studies. I'll be teaching adult classes, particularly to young families. In addition, I'll be helping grow their small groups, be responsible for all the media and presentation for Sunday morning worship, and help out with a budding teen group.

I have enjoyed my time here in Guntersville, and there are many individuals and families here who have helped me and Kristen grow. I'll always remember it here, because this was Josie's first home. Speaking of Josie, she'll be 9 months old tomorrow. Here are a few pictures:

Josie loves these "stacking rings", but doesn't use them to stack. She loves to take them with her everywhere she goes. Usually she has the orange and yellow ones, but sometimes she goes for blue.

This one just looks like a mug shot.

But she has a gorgeous smile. It'll just melt your heart!

And of course...Josie is now mobile. Look out world!!

7 comments:

-Lane said...

I just love how she grunts almost the entire time.

Mitchell said...

Congratulations Lane! I know that you will be outstanding in your new ministry. BTW, I love the pics of Josie, she is adorable.

chesley said...

Congrats Lane! BTW, Josie is precious!

Sunny said...

I'm so happy for you guys, but sad that you will be leaving this part of town. I don't know who we will eat Top O' The River with. I'll be praying for you guys as you make this move. Hopefully we will make it back to Texas one day and get to visit. We'll just have to wait for a cooler month than last time we visited out there. :)

The pictures of Josie are so cute! She is adorable.

LB said...

Wow! That's exciting and it sounds like you are really letting God lead you. Congrats! Josie is getting so big! The mug shot made me laugh!

Steve Hawley said...

Welcome Back!
God bless,
Coach hawley
Luke 18:1

PS Our girls are ranked 14th in the USA!

Jason said...

I echo what Sunny has already said. We'll certainly miss you guys here in north Alabama, but I know God has put you on a path to do some great things for the Kingdom in Texas. We're happy for you guys! And the pics are great!