Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A Good Ole Flick

Recently, I've discovered Channel 258 on my DirecTV, which is the Fox Movie Channel. I've watched some great old flicks, movies that have reconnected me to childhood and teen years. Recently, we watched both Father of the Bride and Father of the Bride part 2.

However, on Sunday night, I recorded a movie that I hadn't seen in such a long time, and I was so excited to see it. It was the movie "Aliens'. Now, there was the movie Alien, and then there was (or were, which should be right, but isn't at this time) "Aliens". Sigourney Weaver played Ripley, a woman who had seen her whole crew destroyed by an Alien, and on this movie, she sees basically the same thing, but with a lot more action.

I also recently saw on the channel the movie "Dumb and Dumber", which was always a classic. So what about you guys? Is there a movie that connects you to your past that you always love watching when you get a chance?

14 comments:

Allen said...

I'd have to say "Airplane!". I must have seen it twenty-five times on HBO as a kid. In retrospect, I'm amazed by some of the things my parents let me watch!

-Lane said...

Ah yes, Airplane! Much better than the second one (although it had its moments as well). Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue!

Allen said...

Allen never vomits at home...

Jason said...

Fletch.
Gladiator.
Field of Dreams.
Bull Durham.
Dumb & Dumber.
The Muppet Movie.
Tremors.
Monty Python & the Holy Grail.

I could go on.

By the way, the reason I'm up so late is because I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Jason said...

Roger.

-Lane said...

You know, I think Airplane! could be the most quoted movie of all times. Could there be a more quoted movie? I remember Mike Fox used to quote it all the time when he was teaching.

Allen said...

It might well be.

And stop calling me Shirley.

Jason said...

Nervous?

Yes.

First time?

No, I've been nervous lots of times.

Allen said...

Ted: My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.

Elaine: When will you be back?

Ted: I can't tell you that. It's classified.

I promise, I'm done now. Except...

Did you know that Pete Rose was the first choice for the co-pilot role eventually filled by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar? He couldn't do it because filming took place during baseball season.

Jason said...

Really? I never knew that. Kareem's great in that role.

All right, since Allen got one more, here's another one of my favorites.

Elaine: You got a letter from headquarters this morning.

Ted: What is it?

Elaine: It's a big building where generals meet, but that's not important.

Allen said...

High quality, sir.

Anonymous said...

Princess Bride
Transformers - I know the movie is new, but it still makes me feel like a kid again.

And Princess Bride has many, many quotable lines as well. "Anybody want a peanut?" "My name is Inigo Montoya..."

Anonymous said...

"What can you make out of this weather report"? "A hat, a flower, ..."
"Did you have the fish or the chicken?" "I had the steak."
"Pardon me, ma'am, but I speak jive."

Holy Grail is a classic as well -- "What's your favorite color?" "Red ... no, blue .... AAAAUUUUGGGHH!"
"What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" "African, or European?" "I don't know ... AAUUGGGHHH!"
"Help! Help! I'm being repressed! Come see the violence inherent in the system!"
"You can tell he's a king because he doesn't have dirt all over him."


My wife really gets annoyed by my movie quotes sometimes....

-Lane said...

No doubt Holy Grail is a great one as well. You know what movie I always quoted as a kid that I don't anymore? Back to the Future. Now that was a good movie.