Monday, January 21, 2008

Reality is sinking in

Kristen is now almost 21 weeks pregnant. She is starting to fill out the belly of her maternity clothes. It is obvious now that she has something growing inside of her. Its been that way for about 4 weeks now.

But it wasn't all that real until last Thursday at the doctor's office. He clicked the lights off, turned on the ultrasound machine, and voila! There was our daughter. My how she had grown. She went from being the size of a grape to being the size of a banana.

My brother and my sister both had girls first, so I felt in my heart that we would probably have a girl as well. The doctor asked if we had a preference before he started, and we told that we didn't, but we felt like it was going to be a girl. We explained that it kind of ran in my family.

He showed us the head, and the stomach, the kidneys, some feet and hands, ribs, the spine, and finally he asked us again "Are you sure you want to know?" We told him yes, and he told us "Well, it looks like the trend....will continue. Congratulations, you're having a girl!" He then showed us how he knew (I thought we were still looking at the head) and pointed out the little girl parts. I was so excited. I couldn't see Kristen's face, but I knew her face was filled with joy and tears (which later, she confirmed for me).

Now, it all seems so much more real to me. We have a healthy daughter that God is blessing us with. Each day, I see Kristen growing more and more. Last night, I laid my head down on Kristen's belly, and I felt our little girl move just the slightest bit. Kristen now feels her daily. Everytime she feels her move, she beams with delight (I know that in a few weeks she'll grow tired of it, but for now its still very exciting to her).

God is truly blessing our lives. Money, possessions, appearances...all of those are great, but family is so important. Thank you God for blessing my life.

2 comments:

Jason said...

It's great to hear that everybody is doing well. It's fun when you can start to hear the baby and feel her kick!

Sunny said...

I am so very thrilled for the both of you! I know that you both are treasuring each of these special and precious moments. May God continue His many blessings on your precious family!