Friday, January 19, 2007

What's in a Song?

Its amazing how a song truly can take you back. Music has always been a passion of mine. I used to love and sit in my room and play my guitar. Its something I haven't done in a while, and I think I may have to back to it.

When I hear certain songs, I'm taken back to a very specific moment. When I hear the song "Fields of Gold" by Sting, I'm taken back to my very first real date. I was 15, she was 17, and she had to pick me up. That song was playing in her car, and I always go back to that nervous state of mind when I hear it.

Every time I hear the song "Life is a Highway", my mind is taken back to a particular day at the Hickory Hollow Mall with my good friend Jason. We really wanted to buy the Cassette Single (man, that dates me, doesn't it?), and we had no money between the two of us to purchase the $3.00 single. Events ensued, and we "found" the money lying around on the floor of a very water covered floor in the middle of the mall.

When I hear Guitar Town by Steve Earle, I'm taken back to the tiny town of Rochester, Minnesota, and my first real Mission Trip. Jason and I listened to it over and over again on the way up there (the worst and best 20 hour bus ride ever).

Songs like Hard Day's Night, Steal My Kisses, and Wonderwall remind me of wonderful times with Kevin Westmoreland in Brigance 206 at Freed Hardeman University. We would sit and sing in the room till the wee hours of the night.

The song "Long December" by the Counting Crows has a special place in my heart as well. I actually bought a Keyboard to learn how to play this song for Kristen, back when we were still in college. She told me at one point that she really loved that song (we heard it the other night, and she couldn't remember why she loved it so much!).

The song "Only Hope" by Mandy Moore, will forever remind me of when I saw Kristen for the first time in her Wedding dress, as that was the song she walked down the aisle to.

So what about you? Are there any songs that bring back those moments? What are they?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Look at You Girl" by Chris LeDoux -- it was playing as I asked Catherine would she say "Yes" if I had a ring and her parents' blessing and asked her to marry me -- my "proposal to propose" of sorts -- we also used it as the song for our Unity Candle in our wedding.

"You Had Me From Hello" by Kenny Chesney -- the night we met, Catherine and I knew there was something special in store for us -- hearing this song later on makes us think of that first date

"Eternal Father" -- hymn of the Navy -- proclaims God's power over Nature, asks Him to protect us in all we do, and reminds me of those friends that have given their lives in service of our country

I could go on and on, but these are three of my top ones.

Jason said...

Awesome post, man. Ahh...Life is a Highway. Why would we resort to such lengths for a Tom Cochrane song?

Everytime I hear "Leavin' Louisiana in the Broad Daylight" or "Here's a Quarter" I think of that Minnesota trip.

I also blush everytime I hear a Doors song. I think you know why.

"Let It Be" was playing when Sunny and I first said "I love you". So that one's special to me.

When I hear "That Summer" by Garth Brooks, I think of Allison Wiggins. Remember how she told us once that song was sexist?

Man, this is fun. I'm like Michael, I could go on all day.....

You need to listen to the Kenny Chesney song "I Go Back". It's a song about this very thing.

Unknown said...

Somewhere over the rainbow by the Hawaiian guy. Stacy and I walked down the aisle as man and wife.

I will be here. Stacy and i played this during our wedding.

Any hootie and the blowfish from Cracked Rearview - summer of '96.