Friday, December 15, 2006

Welcome to online shopping

I must admit, I used to be afraid of online shopping. Now, I'm a huge fan, for several reasons:

1. Most of it is a lot cheaper. Last year, we bought a video camera listed for $500 at Best Buy for $250. On top of that, there was no tax, and free shipping. Christmas shopping has been better too, because I can get more in the budget we have set.

2. I don't have to go get it. Sometimes, I like walking around the mall, especially at Brookstone or similar stores. But, when it comes to Christmas time, avoiding crowds is the top priority.

3. No annoying Sales People. I know, they are doing their job. But if you're like me, I do all my research on the particular item I'm shopping for at home, either online, or talking to others about the product. Very rarely do I go shopping for an item not knowing anything about it. Shopping online prevents talking to those terribly annoying and pushy sales people (especially at places that sell electronics, where they think everyone is a sap and they can get them to buy anything).

4. Its fun to get packages! Ever since I was a little boy, I've loved to get mail. I remember at college, if you got a little pink slip in your p.o. box, that meant you had a package! Everyone would go with you to package pick up to see what you got. Now, i'm 28, and getting packages is so much fun. I really like tracking the packages online to see where they came from and where they are stopping on their way to me.

5. You can shop for anything and everything without leaving your desk. What mall can you go to and literally see anything you want in a matter of 2 minutes? I can shop for electronics, clothes, a car, china, furniture, and so many other things, just by the click of a button.

Of course, some people still love the "Old Fashioned" way of shopping, but I'm hooked on online shopping. Merry Christmas everyone!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Acutally, you are supposed to record everything that you buy and don't pay sales tax on on your AL tax return and pay a certain percentage on the total. They gotta get their fair share you know.

-Lane said...

They didn't share that with me when I moved to Alabama. I guess they forgot to put that in the "rules". Oh well.

Sunny said...

Alabama has the craziest rules!!!

I like the new look!

I have really enjoyed getting a few items online. I really like it when the shipping is free and the item is less online than in the store. I got out today to do some shopping and found it to be the biggest pain. The traffic, long lines, crowds, rude people, etc... I would much rather finish up at home in my pjs.

-Lane said...

Amen. Last night, Kristen and I went to the ... Mall... and then on to Target. People are vicious and rude now a days. Tis the season to be jolly, right?

Anonymous said...

And that attitude is only what you experienced as another shopper. I spent 4 Christmas seasons working in retail, and as rude as they are to you as another shopper -- you should see what you have to put up with as a retail employee. Sometimes I wished everyone had to work one Christmas season in retail and one four- to six-month stint waiting tables -- maybe they would treat those people a lot better then!

-Lane said...

I would agree. Kristen worked Yankee Candle last year around Christmas time, and she had a few grouchy customers as well. I really appreciate the workers who at least act like they enjoy their jobs. The customers, however, never really act like they want to be there shopping.

Even though we were stressed last night, we still enjoyed the shopping. If you're going to be a grouch, stay at home and shop online, and then gripe to the UPS dude when he shows up late.