Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Stranger than Fiction


Last night my wife and I did something we haven't done in quite a while. We went on a date on a Monday night. I told her that I felt like we were in college again. It had been an unusually rough day. I didn't feel well, she had another trial filled day working with her two year olds, so I proposed a date night.

We drove to Huntsville, and went to eat at McAlister's Deli (a favorite of Kristen's), and then walked around Target for a few minutes. Then we proceeded over to the Rave Theater, and went to go see the movie "Stranger than Fictioin" starring Will Ferrell.

Let me start off by saying this is not a stereotypical Ferrell flick. He was not his usual goofy and silly self. He had a more mature demeanor, however he was still hilarious.

The movie is based upon this guy named Harold Crick, who has a very routine life and does the same thing day in and day out. He works for the IRS as an auditor. His life is all about numbers.

One day, a voice pops into his head. The voice seems to be narrating his life. As quoted from the movie, "Its telling me what i've just done and using a better vocabulary".

The voice is actually an author, who is famous for writing books about people who die. Coincidence occurs when her main character's name is Harold's name as well. Harold spends the rest of the movie trying to figure out who the voice is, and in the meantime learns how to live a real life.

I thought the movie was pretty brilliant, especially for a Will Ferrell movie. If you go in just expecting a brainless comedy which is full of potty humor, you will be sadly disappointed. If you go in expecting an intelligent comedy, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Stranger than Fiction: I Give you 4 out of 5 stars ****, because there are some slow parts of the movie that could have been filled with a bit more humor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I've been wanting to see this movie; now I really want to see it. Maybe it will be a date night for Rebecca and I this weekend.