Thursday, May 11, 2006

Top 50 Most Influencial People In My Life #30-21

Here they are, numbers 30-21 of the most top influencial people in my life. Read on, and enjoy!


30. Steve Hawley: Coach Steve Hawley (its so weird saying your first name Steve) was my High School History and Economics teacher. He also coached basketball at FCS and at Westbury Christian (where I ended up working right after college). After one of my trips to Honduras, Steve asked if there was something he could help do to for the children in Honduras. I told him about an orphanage that was hoped to be built by Harris Goodwin (see earlier in the list). Coach Hawley started for that very purpose doing the Change Days at FCS. I believe the first year we raised maybe around $1000 or so, but by the time I was a senior it was up to around $5000. Now, it is a combined effort between FCS and WCS, and raises a lot more than that. Coach Hawley helped me a lot in Houston as well, when I moved there and did not know a lot of people. He has a great book out called "What Then Is This Child Going To Be?" and if you click on the picture, it will take you to his website. He also has a blog and you can go that HERE.

29. Travis Shivers: Travis was one of my kids in the Ashland City Youth Group. He stood out in the crowd of teenagers in a way I've never seen. And, all in a good way! He was a leader without even trying. He got involved in just about everything we did. He grew spiritually as we were there, and now has committed to go and play soccer at FHU this next year. I've always admired teens who were self motivators. Travis is indeed one of those.

28. Julie Henry: Julie is a parent in my youth group here at Ross. Recently we've been getting a lot of neighborhood kids in. Our neighborhood is comprised of mainly lower economic level families, and also a lot of different cultures as well. Julie knows no stranger. Everyone she interacts with loves her. She has a great rapport with all the new teens that have been coming in to visit. She's always willing to do anything I need, and is always getting involved with the kids, getting to know them, and genuinely cares about them.

27. David and Judy Franklin: David and Judy have taken on a role here of parenting Kristen and me. They have had us in their home, are leaders of our life group, call us and encourage us, and have even kept out dog. They are both so sincerely kind to us, and when they ask how things are going, they actually want to know and talk about it. David is an elder here at Ross, and is a good leader in the church as well.

26. Michael and Catherine Davis: One word -- Friends. The Ashland City Church was a great church, but they had no one our age to hang out with. Enter Michael and Catherine. From the first day we moved to Memphis, we had friends in them. They helped us move to the apartment, from the apartment into our house, we've gone on numerous outings together, and they are some great competitors in Cranium and Phase 10. They keep Chloe, our dog, when we go out of town, and don't seem to complain about it. They help us out in the youth group, by teaching with the junior high on Sunday mornings and being adult volunteers on Wednesday night. Michael is our Candy guy, and Catherine always will do anything you ask her to. They have some of the biggest servant hearts in the church.

25. Sarah Dill: Sarah is a freshman in college in Senatobia, MS. She comes on occasion to Ross. She graduated last year, and lives about 45 minutes away, hence the occasion to Ross line. Her story to me is grand. Just about 2 years ago, she was not a Christian, didn't care about Church, and came to church one evening as a joke to get a few laughs. What she didn't realize was how God was going to use her. She was touched by things that were said, the kind of people who were there, and became a Christian. She went on a New York Mission trip last year and is going on our Honduras campaign this year. She has a super bubbly personality that is contagious. You can't be in a bad mood when you're around her.

24. Ex Girlfriend: Ex girlfriend to remain nameless (just in case she is reading this, i'd hate to tick her off, but I highly doubt she's reading this). There was a girl that I started dating rather seriously in college when I was a freshman. It was really to a point where we talked about spending the rest of our lives together. She had drawn me away, however, from being a faithful Christian. She was into social drinking, which I was not, and she knew how I felt. (Funny, how when you don't go to church that much, you still have that Christian conviction about things.) Basically one day, I told her she had a choice, either stop drinking, or I'm gone. She couldn't let go of the worldly life style. Our breakup, however led to a renewing of my life with God, with friends, with my social life, with school, and on top of that, God had someone so much better for me waiting.

23. Steve Davidson: Steve is in charge of Spiritual outreach at Lipscomb University. I didn't go to Lipscomb, but Steve had a tremendous impact on my life. He was in charge of the TORCH campaigns that went to Honduras. From 8th Grade till I graduated High School, he led me on 5 campaigns. He took teenagers to Honduras for 2 or 3 weeks out of his summer. He is still highly dedicated to the work in Honduras, and is the head hancho for the Jovenes En Camino Children's home near Tegucigalpa.

22. Emily Niemann: Emily Niemann was on the Girl's basketball team on which I was the assistant coach at Westbury Christian. On top of winning the State Championship that year, Emily went on to go to Baylor, where she was 6th man off the bench for their National Championship year. She has since transferred to University of California Santa Barbara. She had a work ethic unmatched by anyone her age, or older for that matter. She spent hours in the gym training, shooting, and doing drills by herself. She always was kind and genuine, and every day in practice I would rebound for her and we would talk about our day.

21. Bradley Crider: Mr. Crider was the first teacher I remember at Westbury Christian who spoke to me. He came into my room, asked me how things were going, and if there was anything he could do to help me out. Little did I know how good of friends we would become. He was a constant source of encouragement to me while I was teaching, and is a phenomanal teacher himself. He has been national recognized, and is a genious when it comes to History and the like. I would never have made it through my two years in Houston without him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I would never have guessed that Catherine and I would have made this list. You sure know how to humble a guy and keep him grounded. We LOVE keeping Chloe, by the way. Have I ever told you how much she loves Krystal cheeseburgers? (Just kidding of course!) We consider you and Kristen great friends as well.

Thank you for being who you are and doing what you are doing at Ross.

Anonymous said...

wow! can i say totally blow away by those who you put in this list! you have some people who have been mentors to me and people who have meant a lot to me. i really like you're idea of top 50 influential people. there are so many people in my life who have influenced me. i really like how you are publically honoring them, props to you. look foward to seeing you sunday!!
Kevin
www.xanga.com/krr11186