Friday, May 05, 2006

Static

Recently I made a trip of about 250 miles one way through the winding country highway of Highway 72 into Huntsville, AL. The trip is an okay trip, but not all that exciting.

I'm a huge talk radio fan. I rather like Tony Snow, Neal Boortz, Glenn Beck, and many others. However, I'm not a huge Rush Limbaugh fan (for some reason, he just grates on my nerves). I also like Michael Savage and Dave Ramsey (No car debt for me!). It saddens me that Tony Snow is leaving to go to do the White House gig, but I'll get over it.

So i'm in a rental car Chevy Malibu, which is okay. I was supposed to be in a Full Size, but all they had was a Taurus with a cassette player (does anyone still listen to those?). So I switched to a midsize with a cd player.

I took off for my little trip, and was listening to my A.M. radio on 600 A.M. here in Memphis. Glenn Beck took me till about 40 or so miles out of Memphis. I flipped through the stations, but could not find a good talk radio station. So I get out my David Crowder cd to listen to, but the stupid cd player is broken. (Thanks Enterprise, you'll come pick me up but you can't fix a cd player!)

So I flipped back to the Glenn Beck program, who is by now just a faint small voice overshadowed by a load of static. As I flip through all the stations, that is what I continue to get -- a faint voice overshadowed by static -- all the way to Huntsville.

You know what though? I continued to try my hardest to listen to every station I picked up, until I could no longer hear any words being said. I would wait until the static completely took over before I would change the station.

We do this so often with God. We are tuned in to God, but the static starts to enter in to our lives. We continue to listen to God, even though the static gets louder and louder. Eventually, the static takes complete control of our focus of God, and all we hear is the static.

There is so much static in the world. The interference and the noise that clouds our lives is taking over. God is getting harder to focus on, because there are so many other distractions. We have to remember that we can not wipe away the interference on our own. We have to refocus on God. We have to change that channel when the static starts to come in, so we can have a clearer focus on God.

1 comment:

Jason said...

One of the best things that ever happened to my prayer life was when the cd player was stolen out of my car. I've always had to have music playing around me (or talk radio -- my wife says I'm addicted to noise), but with no CD player or radio, I was forced to do about the only thing I could do: talk to God. I was shamed at how little time I spend talking with Him, and it's so easy. My static is usually the music and news I listen to. I need to get back to that. Thanks for the reminder, man. Keep on blogging your thoughts.