Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Death of an All Star

When I was a kid in around 6th and 7th grade, I remember that I really loved watching baseball, playing R.B.I. baseball on Nintendo, and collecting baseball cards. It was pretty much what every young guy wants to do at that age, maybe not with baseball, but with some sport. I was never very good at baseball, but I sure loved the game.

I remember developing a passion for the New York Yankees. The reason? I went to a baseball card show with my dad one night. I only had about $10 to spend, and I didn't want to spend it all. I walked around with my dad all night long, looking at cards and dreaming of owning some of them. Finally, at the end of the evening, there was a guy selling packages of 50 baseball cards randomly thrown together for $2.00. I bought one package.

As I went through them, I remember asking my dad what good players were rookies that season. The only one we could think of was Don Mattingly. As I went through the remainder of the cards, the very last one I got to was none other than a 1984 Topps Don Mattingly card. I treasured it, and thought it was great (now, its only worth about $10, but at the time it was worth about $60).

I loved the Yankees even then, when they weren't all that great. The 1994 season which was ruined by the strike was about the only season back then when the Yankees were pretty good. Alas, The Hit Man Donnie Baseball didn't make it to the series.

But one man who did, who I respected so very much at that age, was Kirby Puckett. I remember sitting on my couch in our living room as he hit the home run against the Braves in the 11th inning during game against I believe Charlie Leibrandt (Jason, correct me if I'm wrong...). Kirby Puckett played for the Twins, and was about the nicest guy ever in baseball.

He made the Hall of Fame on his first appearance on the ballot, not really because of his numbers (which by the way are comparable to Don Mattingly's), but because of who he was. He seemed to really just love the profession of being a professional baseball player.

Kirby passed away from complications due a stroke. He was only 45 years old. In a 12 year career, he stayed with only one team. He helped lead the Twins to championship seasons against St. Louis (sorry Jason) and Atlanta (whoo hoo!!).

They just don't make them like that anymore. He will be missed.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I think it was Game 6 of the 1991 Series when he homered off Leibrandt. That still ranks as one of the best Series I've ever seen.

Puckett had this pure joy when he played the game. His smile seemed infectious. His career was cut short when a Dennis Martinez fastball crushed his left eye, leading to glaucoma.

More tragically is the fact that his life was cut short. 44 years old is much too young.

And, he's a stud on RBI.