Monday, March 20, 2006

Carrying the cross

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to fill in for our minister while he was away on a quick vacation. As I was preaching, on the topic of Carrying Your Own Cross, some more ideas popped into my head that I'd like to share with you.

We must deny ourselves, take up our crosses, and follow Christ in order to be one of his disciples. Denying ourselves is a hard thing to do. Everything within our living being promotes us to do what feels natural, take care of ourselves, protect ourselves...not deny ourselves.

Denying ourselves means to make a choice as to who is number one: Yourself or Christ. The thing is, included in yourself is all that is important to you -- your wife, husband, children, pets, home, cars, your love for a deep dish pizza -- all of that is included in denying yourself. If you choose any of those over Christ, you have chosen not to be a disciple of Christ.

I love my wife dearly, more than anything in this world. However, since I choose to be a disciple of Christ, I must love Christ more. I must love my cause for Christ more than anything that means something to me on this earth.

How hard is to deny ourselves? Well, how hard is it to say no to that food you really love...pizza, chips, chocolate, Starbucks, honeybuns...its hard to deny yourself those foods. Even if you know they're all terrible for you on a consistent basis, we consistently choose to put those things into our bodies.

God asks us to put aside all pleasures and happiness...focusing completely on Him. I have every good intention of denying myself and taking up my cross, but its so hard.

I must put those things I love on this earth on the cross. I must take up my cross by placing those things on it, and follow Christ. When I do this, Christ comes along to help me in my burden. Christ didn't carry his cross by himself, nor does he expect us to carry ours on our own. He wants to help us in this burden.

God bless.

No comments: