Thursday, March 12, 2009

House Hunting update

Well, here's the update on the house hunt:

Monday, we went and looked at about 40 homes all around the western side of Houston. It was all rather overwhelming. Some of the homes were wonderful, some were not so much. Josie was a little trooper, getting in and out of her car seat over and over again. She had a wonderful time! She loved looking at all the homes (except the really gross ones!)

There was one home in particular, about midway through the day, that we really loved. It was a smaller home, and at the higher end of our budget, but it was the home we kept comparing the rest of them against. But, being at the higher end of our budget we were unsure whether or not it would be a fit for me.

After looking at all the rest of the homes for the day, we decided to sleep on it, and go back to the one we liked the next day. After we looked at it a second time, we knew that it was the home for us. We had a few things we had to consider and factor in, however.

First, I had to call my CPA and ask him to rush my numbers for what I would need to set aside for taxes the upcoming year. When he told me what my take home pay would be after taxes, it had us falling short about $150.

Second, we called our mortgage guy, and asked him to run the numbers based upon what we were offering for the house. After he ran the numbers, believe it or not, it ended up being $150 less per month than what he had initially told me. Bingo, that's what we needed to hear. We made the offer, and they accepted!!

However, yesterday, at the home inspection, we learned that the house's roof was at the end of its life. We were nervous that they might not take care of that, since we had asked them to pay our closing costs. However, they realized that if they didn't replace it for us, they would probably have to replace it for someone else.

This morning, I'm meeting with our mortgage guy, and then I'll go back over to the Realtor's office to finalize everything, Lord willing.

Say a little prayer for us this morning, that all will go well. Thanks for all the prayers so far!!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Yeah! I know that you guys are so excited! I hope that everything works out and that you guys will get that house. I would love to see pictures!!!

Jason said...

Congrats. Thanks for doing your part to prop up the economy! Seriously, glad it all went well.