Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Gold, The Silver, and the Bronze

So Saturday morning, Kristen and I sit down to watch some of the Olympics. After such an AMAZING opening ceremony, I got really stoked about watching some of the events. We watched the US Women's Volleyball team beat China, we watched a game of Handball, which is really cool, and then we watched some of the Men's long distance cycling.

I believe, however, that I was most mesmerized by the Fencing event. I didn't understand a bit of it, but what was so amazing was that all three medals went to the Americans. As I watched the Medal Ceremony, it brought an enormous amount of Patriotism to me. Here I am, almost in tears over an event I know nothing about.

But what's even more amazing than that is that I find myself being extremely proud of anyone who wins a medal at all. Most recently I just saw a Men's Japanese swimmer win gold, and Norway's first swimming medalist ever on the Medal stand. These athletes work so hard to be as perfect as they can be to compete in these games.

It was stated in the opening ceremonies that around 80 of the 205 nations represented have never won a medal at all. The chances of winning a medal are extremely slim. Even though for most a medal is never realized, they strive for it with all their heart. Medals not being won because of a loss by less than .001 of a second. Its truly amazing

If we could learn as Christians from these athletes, I think it would be this: If we just try our hardest to be the best we can be in God's eyes, and do all we can to represent Him and His Kingdom, we have a guarantee of the prize. Why is so many can strive for something that is never guaranteed, but so many never strive for something that is promised?

No comments: