Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday Music

Its been a while since I've posted anything that hasn't been about Josie, much less anything at all. I've decided to try to get into more of a routine with my posting, starting out with Monday Music. Recently, I signed up for a free trial of E-Music, which at first I wasn't too sure about. There are a whole lot of Indie label artists on the site, but the more I listen, the more I like. Here's a review of who I downloaded.

1. Old Crow Medicine Show: A unique blend of country and folk music. I know, I said country and folk music. For those of you who know me, I'm not a country and folk kinda guy (barring my country/western phase of 1992). These guys are amazing. Definitely give them a looksie. Also, everyone I know seems to be jumping on their train, so I thought I'd give them a try. Good call Jason, great band.

2. Earlimart: A rock/pop group based out of LA. I don't know too much about them. Their band was named for a town in California called Earlimart. Their sound is not too rock/pop, but just enough. Give their songs a listen.

3. Chris Letcher: What happens when the Beatles go alternative? I believe you get Chris Letcher. A British Invasion guy, his music has a very edgy sound that I can't seem to turn off. Give the song "Deep Frieze" a spin and tell me you don't think of the Beatles.

4. My Morning Jacket: MMJ is a slightly older band, forming around 1998. They've been on Letterman, and featured in the movie "Elizabethtown" They've also played at Bonnaroo for about the past five years or so. An interesting sound, one that is hard to pinpoint exactly. Sometimes they sound like U2, and some songs sound like CCR.

5. Josh Ritter: He calls himself country, but I think he's a bit more like a Simon and Garfunkel sound. He's been around for a while as well. Check out his "The Animal Years" album.

Anyone else heard any new music lately? What else should I be checking out?

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Dora the Explorer is just about all that I get to listen to. Jason and I bought the Dora CD for Abby Kate's birthday and unfortunately it is all that she will listen to now. Although yesterday she did request The Dixie Chicks. She knows how to make her momma proud!

Jason likes a lot of the same kind of music that you have listed. Unfortunately I'm not a fan!

Jason said...

I'm glad you're into Old Crow. I could've burned you a CD so you could save your downloads for some other stuff. They have a new one out in September. You can listen to their first single at their MySpace page. Check it out; I think it sounds great.

If you like Old Crow, you should also check out the Avett Brothers. Same kind of stuff.

Anonymous said...

I've recently stumbled across the group Lady Antebellum that I like. Unfortunately for you, it's country. You really might want to give Never Alone a listen; the words are pretty close to that of an Irish blessing.

My other new discovery is also country: LoCash Cowboys. A couple of their songs remind me of Bon Jovi, though.

I also like Colbie Caillat, but I have a feeling she's going to be over-played on the radio and then people will get tired of her.