Monday, October 05, 2009

The BEST Concert I've Ever Been to....

About 4 years ago, when I was living in Memphis, Kristen and I went to see a Third Day concert. My good friend Jason Bybee and his wife Sunny happened to be visiting that weekend, so we all went together.

My wife and I were stoked about seeing Third Day, and as usual, we were prepared to sit through an opening act to get to the main show. The opening act was an up and coming worship band known as the David Crowder Band. I have to admit, I wasn't really looking forward to it, but Jason had heard them, and burned me a cd of some of their tunes to listen to ahead of time.

When David Crowder and his band walked out on the stage and began to play, I was blown away. Not only were they very obviously talented in their musical abilities, but their lyrics were so powerful.

When they were done, I wanted more. All through the Third Day concert, I kept on thinking about how awesome David Crowder had been. About two years ago, while living in Alabama, Jason and I drove down to Samford University in Birmingham to hear them perform again, in a small venue, and just them. They weren't opening up for anyone, they just did their own little show.

On Saturday night, Kristen and I went to hear David Crowder on the third stop of their "Church Music" tour. After sitting through two decent opening acts (Seabird and Danyew), out came the David Crowder Band. The first thing I noticed was the attire in which they appeared. Since it was the "Church Music" tour, they were decked out in Sunday best. David Crowder was wearing a full suit, including a vest. All the band members were wearing a suit, except the drummer, who was minus the suit coat.

They've come a long way, from opening act, to small venue, to a 12,000 seat auditorium on their own tour. Its been fun watching them grow. This concert featured the best of their new album, and great classics that they are known for. Their drummer even built a robotic drum set. It was actual drum set, with sticks connected to various electronic components, to add extra depth to the rhythm. This newest album of theirs features a whole lot more "hard" rock, mixed in with a slight bit of disco/techno as well.

Here are some pictures, not very good, but the best I could get since it was rather dark:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys had fun. Wish I could've been there. I haven't looked at his tour dates to see if he'll be playing nearby. If he is, I'll have to go catch a show. And I still need to pick up his new CD. (I've been listening to U2 nonstop as I prep for tonight's concert!)