Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A modern day Scrooge

I have to admit, this year Christmas has not been fun.

Yet.

I'm still holding out that possibly Christmas could arrive at any moment and "happen", but that hasn't occurred yet.

At some point, buying presents becomes ridiculous.

I'm all for buying things for family and friends, for needy, for those you work with, for those people you only see once a year at Christmas time, you get the point. The problem I have is the fact the actual process of buying Christmas presents is ridiculous. It is an overwhelming phenomena that sucks the very being out most men.

Women could shop for hours, picking up every item in the store, saying "Oooh, he'll love that" or "That's exactly what she needs". Men, we can walk into a store, look aimlessly at the walls and racks, and walk out with either nothing, or the absolute wrong thing.

Yesterday, as I was in Huntsville shopping, I saw man after man with a hopeless and lost look on their face. They all appeared to cry out "Why oh why don't I ever listen to the hints that she gives me??" Men picking up items like that Lowe's commercial asking the ladies in the store, "Do you think my wife will like this?"

Then you have the guy that goes into guy stores looking for things for his wife. That's always comical as well.

I say next year, we all forfeit gift swapping, and just spend time with each other. Being 4 hours from my family, that's what I look forward to the most this year, is a family get together, playing Phase 10 and eating food till midnight, talking about past Christmas days and enjoying watching the children open presents.

But next year, I'll have a kid. That's right, i'll be even more at a loss, because what do you buy a baby who will be 7 months old? Better start buying for next year now.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Baby W will probably enjoy playing with the wrapping paper and boxes more than any gift you get him / her!

Sunny said...

I would highly recommend a Jumperoo! Jackson is 6 months and absolutely LOVES his!!!

I think that buying for the kids is more fun anyways! Jason and I are "skipping" the gifts (with a couple of exceptions). We always get what we need anyways.

chesley said...

Andy & I are skipping gifts too. It's so much more fun with the kids and seeing their faces light up. Grant was 7 mths old his 1st Christmas and it was a blast. You'd be surprised how much they're into it then, although the wrapping paper is usually their fav.