Wednesday, September 27, 2006

French (Freedom) Fries

Several months ago, I posted on here that I was ready to lose weight. Well, here I am, not much lighter, and not much more disciplined.

That is until the past week and a half. I've decided, through the help of a friend, Kyle Hooper, that you have to set some smaller goals.

I also have to stop thinking about the fact that I used to be skinnier. I'll get there again one day, but it won't be tomorrow. Just because I was there does not mean I deserve it tomorrow.

Which brings me to french fries and also candy bars. Being a youth minister, its hard to have a diet that doesn't consist of french fries and candy bars. Its so easy to run and pick up some fast food for lunch, or for dinner, at any given time. Granted, the burgers and sandwiches at most of these joints are bad for you, but the french fries are terrible.

I'm not saying i'm going to cut them out completely, but I have noticed my stomach has been feeling better since I stopped eating them. I'm making more conscious efforts to be healthier now. Its about time.

Having said that, i suggest everyone check out the NBC show "The Biggest Loser". It comes on Wednesday, so set your DVR to record since you'll all be at church, right?

For the last 11 days, I have not eaten a french fry. That, is a HUGE deal for me. I love french fries, even though they have zero nutritional value.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you do get a craving for fries, here's a way to make your own: cut Russet or baking potatoes into wedges and toss lightly in canola or vegetable oil (I prefer canola). Put them on a baking sheet, and season them to your taste (salt, pepper, lemon pepper, Old Bay, etc.). Bake @ 350 until done. Tasty, and a healthier option than Mickey D's or BK.

-Lane said...

thanks man. maybe we should try those this weekend?

Jason said...

Dude, I feel your pain. But fries are so good. Actually, anything fried is better. But I applaud you for your discipline. Keep it up.

Unknown said...

Good job! Every new years I give up something for that year. 1 year 9 months 28 days ago I gave up all cokes, and this past new years I gave up all drinks except for water. It is real hard the first couple months but you eventually reach a point to where it is not a struggle to make the decision not to eat/drink whatever it is you gave up. I think this new years I'll give up all fried foods?

-Lane said...

its so hard to give up all fried foods, because there is just so much that is fried. I mean, that cuts out most Mexican meals..all fast food...chick fil a, and zaxby's. no more chicken tenders, hush puppies...need i go on?

Anonymous said...

Giving up anything can be difficult, especially when it has become such a routine part of your life. For example, it would be easy for me to give up french fries because I hardly ever eat them anyways. But for me to give up chocolate chip cookies would be something much more difficult.

I have found that it is easier for me to accomplish things when I write them down. Write down your ultimate goal (for example, to lose 30 pounds), then write down smaller goals that will help you reach the ultimate goal (for example, lose one pound per week). Then, make sure you do something each day to help you reach your goal.

Another thing I have figured out that might be helpful...protein seems to curb my food cravings. If you don't do it already, go to GNC (or Wal-Mart) and buy some protein powder. Keep it at your office, and if you feel the urge to snack, make yourself a shake. It's much healthier and it will keep you from being tempted by junk food.

-Lane said...

but protein powders taste like chalk. they're just nasty. plain and simple. Any ideas for a better tasting one?

Unknown said...

myoplex choclate powder mixed with milk. mmmmm.... chocolate

Anonymous said...

Whatever you choose, mix it with milk. They do taste pretty bad with water (except for Muscle Milk, but it's expensive), but they taste much better with milk. The GNC brand of chocolate powder tastes like a chocolate shake when mixed with milk. Plus, if you get bored with it, throw it in a blender with strawberries or bananas and some ice cubes and make it a smoothie.