Monday, August 21, 2006

The One and Only New York Yankees

Hey, you can hate them all you want, but the Yankees keep Major League Baseball interesting. I love listening to people complain about the Yankees, and I love defending them. You know that if you're team could afford A. Rod, you'd take him. You know that if you could have a 1 through 5 hitter lineup of Johnny Damon, Derek Jeter, Bobby Abreu, Jason Giambi, and Alex Rodriguez that you would love it.

What I'm just stoked about now is that the Yankees just completed a FIVE GAME SWEEP over their division rivals the Boston Red Sox. How great it feels!

So now as I look back at my predictions earlier in the year, I see that they are going south. The Yankees will win, but the Red Sox probably will not win the Wild Card. I had picked the Yankees, the White Sox, and the Athletics to win, with the Red Sox as the Wildcard. In the National League, I picked the Marlins, Padres, and Cardinals to go, with the wildcard being the New York Mets.

How am I doing? Well, As of right now, the Yanks, the A's, and the Tigers would go, with the White Sox being the Wildcard. I think the Red Sox truly have lost their spot, but the Twins are still in the running for that 4th spot.

Over in the National League, if they played post season today, it would be the Mets, The Cardinals, and the Dodgers, with the wildcard being...? Cincinnati is leading the wildcard race now, but ...

So now, I bring to you my near the end of the season predictions, updated slightly:

American League:
Division Winners: New York, Oakland, and Detroit
Wildcard- Minnesota Twins

Detroit beats Minnesota, New York Beats Oakland

New York beats Detroit because Detroit is inexperienced in post season play

National League:
Division Winners: New York, Cincinnati, and LA
Wildcard- St. Louis (Jason, I know you hate that, but Cincinnati is on fire lately)

New York beats St. Louis, LA beats Cincinnati

LA beats New York

World Series:
New York Yankees vs. LA Dodgers

New York wins 4 games to 2

Am I crazy, or do you think this might work?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm actually pleased. As I reviewed my pics on your page, my National League still looks pretty good. For the American League, I'm still pretty close. I'll change only one of my predictions. I know the Braves are almost out of it, but I'm sticking with my team. (And, believe it or not, I almost picked the Tigers way back when as a joke.)

AL -
East: New York Yankees
Central: DETROIT TIGERS
West: Los Angeles (Anaheim) Angels
Wild Card: Boston Red Sox

NL -
East: New York Mets
Central: St. Louis Cardinals
West: Los Angeles Dodgers
Wild Card: Atlanta Braves

-Lane said...

You really think the Braves can pull it out? Man, you're a diehard fan.

I just don't think the Red Sox can pull it out now that they got defeated 5 games in a row. They're gonna go on a skid now.

Jason said...

The Sox are sunk. Actually the wild card will belong to a Sox -- the White Sox. If that happens, the Tigers will play the AL West winner in the opening round, which will probably be Oakland. I picked the Angels in the spring and I still think they could beat out the A's (who are hardly a powerhouse), but losing Bartolo Colon will be a killer.

In the NL, I just don't see the Reds overpowering the Cardinals. The pitching is getting better again and the lineup is starting to hit for St. Louis. This series against the Mets will be crucial for them. So here are my predictions:
AL East: Yanks. It's over, Boston.
AL Central: Tigers. Yawn.
AL West: Angels. I think they can still pull it off.
AL Central: White Sox. Maybe the best wild card team ever.

NL East: Mets.
NL Central. St. Louis. Of course.
NL West: LA
NL Wild Card: Houston. They're just too good to keep floundering. Nobody in baseball has a better Big Three than Clemens, Oswalt and Pettite.

I've got Detroit over the Angels and the White Sox over the Yanks in the AL. White Sox over the Tigers for the pennant.
In the NL, the Mets will beat the Astros (as long as Glavine is still healthy). The Cards will beat the Dodgers. And it pains me to do it, but I'd probably pick the Mets over the Cards right now (again, assuming Glavine is healhty).

In the Series, I'd probably say the White Sox over the Mets. We'll see.