Thursday, June 01, 2006

A place called Guntersville

Guntersville, Alabama. About 30 miles Southeast of Huntsville, God made a place called Guntersville, Alabama. Complete with the Tennessee River and Lake Guntersville, this could be that little paradise place that many people don't know about. Rolling hills, a beautiful golf course, and all the boating and jet skiing one can imagine.

But that's not all that is there. Nestled at the foot of a small hill in the older part of town is the Guntersville church of Christ. There, about 400 people meet every Sunday morning to worship God.

The people there are really friendly, down to earth, and supposedly really good cooks. They are kind and courteous, rather laid back, and just enjoy the simple pleasures of life.

And after a year in the excitement of a big city like Memphis, it is a very inviting place to go to live. About 3 weeks ago, my wife and I were offered a job to go and work with the church in Guntersville, and we have accepted. We will be moving there in July.

Now, with this great town called Guntersville, and all the excitement it may offer, it also means we have to say goodbye.

We have to say goodbye to Emily and Abbey Randolph, two our teenagers here who have had such an impact on us. We've seen them grow spiritual while we've been here to the point that they are going to Honduras with us later this summer.

We have to say goodbye to the Henry family: Bud, Julie, Megan and Nick. The Henry family is just about one of the best families we've ever known.

We have to say goodbye to Stephanie and Anna, two junior high girls who live in the neighborhood. One Wednesday night they were riding their bikes in our parking lot. Almost a year later, they are still coming every Wednesday night.

We have to say goodbye to John and Keith and Karen, a great office staff that I get to work with almost daily.

There's so many, and the list could go on and on. Its funny how much of an impact people can have on you in just a short year, but it happens. I thank God for the year we've spent here. We've grown closer to so many.

Pray for us as we begin to make this transition. Summers are already busy enough as a youth minister, and now we've got to sell our house and move.

Thanks everyone, and God bless.

7 comments:

Steve Hawley said...

Guntersville, Alabama- the hometown of ............Russell Carr!! My thoughts and prayers are with you as you begin this new work, Lane.
God bless,
SH
Luke 18:1

Anonymous said...

Guntersville, Alabama- near the home of ...........Jonathan and Rebecca McKnight!! That means we can hang out with you guys again. (The guys may still have to take periodic trips to Memphis to gorge ourselves with meat at Texas de Brazil.)

Anonymous said...

LANE WIDICK! A man, that I must say had a short but significant impact on my life. Honestly, I doubted your coming, but you turned out to be a God fearing Christian who kept his plans second to what God was trying to do in your life as well as with the Ross Road Youth Group. I'm personally saddened by the hearing of your going. You and Mrs. Widick will always be on my mind and in my prayers. Doors open and Doors close. Your door to Ross Road is now closing, but I'm looking forward to what God has in store for you now. I'll be by Ross Road before your departure to wish you well. To be blunt, Mr. and Mrs. Widick...I love you!

Anonymous said...

You know, i always hate to see ministers leave Ross. I will admit though, I was skeptical of you at first. I've gotten to know you, and grown to love you! Though, I haven't known you long I have thoroughly enjoyed the work you've done with Ross Road. I'm sad to see you go, yes, but it's all a part of God's will. Just like God put it on your hearts to come to Ross a year ago, so it was put in your hearts to leave us. My skeptiscism has turned to sureness and my doubts have turned into assurance. We will miss you. I guess it's too late to wish you won't leave...

Terry Reeves said...

Lane,

You are in the backyard of my old stomping grounds! I have caught a boatload of large mouth bass in that lake and have worshipped at the church there many times. You are moving into a little slice of heaven and I hope you enjoy every minute of it there. You are in "Roll Tide" country and all that there is to offer from there. Good luck on your new ministry, I am sure you will be missed at Ross Road. Love you brother!!!

Terry

-Lane said...

no doubt my time here at Ross hasn't been filled with doubts at times. I don't know that Kristen and I were fit to do big urban city youth ministry. And of course, following Jason Ashlock and Kip Long were big feats as well...so doubts are common. I just hope that while I've been here you guys have learned a little and gotten closer to God!

Jason said...

Personally, I'll be excited to have you closer to us. I think we'll be more than happy to make the drive over to Top O' the River anytime!

God bless you and your ministry.