Wednesday, January 11, 2006

On Jordan's Stormy Banks

On Jordan's stormy banks I stand,
And cast a wishful eye
To Canaan's fair and happy land,
Where my possessions lie.

Oh, the transporting, rapturous scene
That rises to my sight!
Sweet fields, arrayed in living green,
And rivers of delight

When shall I reach that happy place,
And be forever blest?
When shall I see my Father's face,
And in his bosom rest?

Filled with delight, my raptured soul
Would here no longer stay;
Tho Jordan's waves around me roll,
Fearless I'd launch away

I am bound, I am bound
I am bound for the promises land

Sometimes, you need a good old gospel song to help you understand that bad days happen, but better days are ahead. I have learned some news today that should have been obvious to me before now, but due to a member that used to be in my youth group, has slapped me across the face in a drastic way. You want to know what I learned?

That I am human. Mistakes happen. Mistakes that I make directly affect others. Others, therefore, are hurt by my mistakes. I look out to see the mistakes I make, and see storms brewing in the horizons. Will we get through the storms? I suppose, but not on our own. Will we go around the storms? That's a valid option, but takes away so much of your valuable time. If I rush through the storm, I may make more mistakes that hurt even more.

The real question this song poses is this: Can I look through the storm to see what follows? Can I see that just beyond the storm is heaven, a fair and happy land? That should be our focus so we can get through the storm. So where is your focus?

When days just don't seem to go your way, weather the storm and know what lies on the other side.

-lane

3 comments:

Jason said...

Love this song, especially the Jars of Clay version. If you haven't heard their latest album Redemption Songs, you should pick up a copy. They re-envision classic hymns in their Jars of Clay style. It's great. This song is especially strong.

Anonymous said...

Years ago you were in a group and one of the songs sung was "Jesus how can you love me on my rainy days" Part of the words were my life is a storm. I think we all have those days when we realize we are not all that God wants us to be. That we have disappointed him in some way. The grand news is that he still loves us. Praise God for his untiring love for each of us.

Anonymous said...

One of the "good old songs" that Mike and I always take with us is "Where No One Stands Alone." There are always songs that go beyond touching your heart and touch your soul. You were talking about seeing through the storm, well, remembering that we aren't alone and that God is with us often times helps me. Thank God that we have a reason to make it through the storm.